One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[WITH OBJECT]Biology Medicine
Determine the quantity or extent of (something in numerical terms); quantify.
- ‘In all specimens, mitotic index was quantitated by counting the number of mitoses per twenty 100X oil immersion fields in areas of highest mitotic activity.’
- ‘For all treatments, plasma membrane cholesterol levels were quantitated by filipin staining as previously described.’
- ‘Plasma PS has been quantitated by immunologic and functional assays.’
- ‘The polymerase chain reaction assay, branched DNA assay and nucleic acid sequence-based amplification assay quantitate human immunodeficiency virus RNA levels.’
- ‘Staining was quantitated and correlated with histologic subtype and mitotic index.’
1960s: from quantity + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.