Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two Australian trees.
- ‘Camel was on the menu, as well as broadbill, kangaroo tail, emu, crocodile, native leaf salad, quandongs and kakadu plums.’
- ‘The Copley bakery cafe serves the best quandong pies you will ever taste.’
- ‘Colorful quandongs have a wide variety of edible uses.’
- ‘Says Jurgen: ‘Three plants in Central Australia, with an index of seven, are already under pressure because of camels: the quandong, the bean tree and the curly pod wattle.’’
- ‘The cassowary evolved amid the Wet Tropics, thriving on figs, quandongs, and other distinctive fruits.’
Mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.