Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person or team that qualifies for a competition or its final rounds.‘he is now 14 and trying to become the youngest qualifier for a PGA Tour event’
- ‘In another match between qualifiers, the Czech Republic stayed unbeaten in 20 games as it drew Italy 2-2 in Palermo, Sicily.’
- ‘English football had the most qualifiers through to the Second Round of the Champions League with those four aforementioned clubs.’
- ‘It was expected to be the qualifier's toughest match of the week, questioning his limited skills against an all-round player.’
- ‘Pocklington's sports centre will host the Samson Team Giants tournament, the official qualifiers for the European Team Championships which in turn will be held in Hungary in July.’
- ‘Last post-season included just two new playoff qualifiers - the Dallas Mavericks and Orlando Magic.’
- ‘Russians Alina Kabayeva and Irina Chaschina are the top two qualifiers into the individual all-around and all four event finals.’
- ‘Malaysia will come with the most players in the qualifying stage, with 10 names, while the Indonesian team has yet to decide the qualifiers, with registration still open for locals.’
- ‘The medal round will start this month with 32 qualifiers playing in a match round, with the finals to be played of 18 holes in October.’
- ‘He said Premiership teams would be put in one basket while the qualifiers from the fifth round would be in another basket.’
- ‘The final rotation matches to decide the last eight qualifiers are Dec.9-10.’
- ‘That first round match is against qualifier George Bastl of Switzerland, which is considered a fairly favourable draw by the young Scot.’
- ‘But the flurry of trade activity before last week's non-waiver deadline reshaped the pennant races, but left eight teams as the most likely playoff qualifiers.’
- ‘I watched both of the swimmers progress from age group athletes to junior championship qualifiers to national championship finalists.’
- ‘Competing for CMU, she qualified to the NCAA Championships as an individual qualifier on bars.’
- ‘FAZ was arranging friendly matches with Ghana and Burkina Faso, both qualifiers to the Africa Cup finals.’
- ‘They also go into the game on the back of some good form that has seen them dispose of Champions League qualifiers Everton and Blackburn Rovers.’
- ‘As well as welcoming Everton to their humble abode they also will be laying out the welcome mat to three other potential Champions League qualifiers in Bolton, Middlesbrough and rank outsiders Tottenham Hotspur.’
- ‘The Slovenian, interestingly, was the last among the eight qualifiers for the final but proved to be quite a specialist in this apparatus as he tied with his great rival.’
- ‘To avoid one-sided matches they must conduct a mini World Cup among the qualifiers and the cellar teams of the last World Cup.’
- ‘Evidencing the pressure of the day, the winner, Joe Mooneyham, was the only qualifier to match his handicap at gross 85, net 72.’
- 1.1 A match or contest to decide which individuals or teams qualify for a competition or its final rounds.
- ‘Government has implored the under-23 coaching staff to be focussed in preparing the team for the crucial Olympic qualifier match against Ghana next weekend in Kumasi.’
- ‘The second day's activities at the Virginia Professional Squash Championships culminated with the final qualifier matches.’
- ‘Azteca and many fans thought that Mexico had underachieved in its final four qualifiers, tying each match, including a scoreless draw with the U.S. in Mexico City.’
- ‘But the arrival of Maltese trialist Luke Dimech gives them an opportunity to sign a player who has played in World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and the Champions League.’
- ‘They had previously finished fourth in the Concacaf final round qualifiers to earn a play-off against Bahrain.’
- ‘In 2003/4 Celtic beat them 5-0 on aggregate in the Champions League qualifiers.’
- ‘The midfielder told some of his team mates after the qualifier that he was quitting international football, the sports daily L' Equipe reported on Thursday.’
- ‘But the Swede has seen the side he has fashioned win their first five matches, including vital qualifiers against Finland, Albania and Greece.’
- ‘On the brink of agreeing a new contract for next term, if he does remain at the club he will face a draining schedule which will combine the normal Premiership demands with European football and the final World Cup qualifiers.’
- ‘The venues for the final round of qualifiers will then be decided.’
- ‘The Zambia Badminton team has started the qualifying rounds for this year's world badminton qualifiers with three victories in the series being played in Mauritius.’
- ‘Following defeat by Wexford in the 2003 qualifiers, Hartley decided to walk away.’
- ‘The African youth champions Angola, who beat Ghana 2-0 in the final, will open their qualifiers with a match against the winners between Togo and Chad.’
- ‘Daniel Wardrop battled through a qualifier then two rounds of matchplay in the Portuguese Amateur Championship - then lost in the quarter-final to his pal Zane Scotland.’
- ‘Do you think that training in the heat in Miami prior to the qualifiers helped the team or did it somewhat drain the players' energy?’
- ‘Leisure Zone has a great relationship with special needs groups from the city and county and this is the second Special Olympics competition qualifiers that have been held there.’
- ‘A cracker final is expected between Neethling and Roland Schoeman - he won his semi-final in an Olympic qualifier 48,83-in the final tonight.’
- ‘As they arrived at Budapest airport following their defeat in the first leg of this season's Champions League qualifiers, the players of Manchester United found that a group of fans were already there.’
- ‘Add to this a calamitous exit from the final Champions League qualifier and an early end to their Carling Cup campaign and it has been underachievement all the way.’
A word or phrase, especially an adjective, used to attribute a quality to another word, especially a noun.
- ‘In fact, it figures frequently as a qualifier for the word ‘education’.’
- ‘Use qualifiers to vary the meaning of a search phrase or keyword and bring additional results.’
- 2.1 (in systemic grammar) a word or phrase added after a noun to qualify its meaning.
- ‘In any case, linguistic qualifiers militate against the signification of the terms they qualify, even as they expand or reduce the space of signification.’
- ‘Both Fleming and Gall avoid the verb qualifiers that attach themselves to standard prose like barnacles to the hull of a ship.’
- ‘The qualifier here is the word - or the feeling of the word - but.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.