One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The large muscle at the front of the thigh, which is divided into four distinct portions and acts to extend the leg.
- ‘The deep branch innervates the quadriceps muscle, knee joint, and medial ligament.’
- ‘Bilateral thigh pain or weakness with atrophy of the iliopsoas, quadriceps, and adductor muscles also may be present.’
- ‘Atrophy of the vastus medialis obliquus portion of the quadriceps muscle also may be noticeable.’
- ‘The barbell squat involves all four muscles of the quadriceps group, located on the front of the thigh.’
- ‘You also use lower-body muscles including your quadriceps, hip flexors and gluteus maximus.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin, literally ‘four-headed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.