The large muscle at the front of the thigh, which is divided into four distinct portions and acts to extend the leg.
- ‘You also use lower-body muscles including your quadriceps, hip flexors and gluteus maximus.’
- ‘Atrophy of the vastus medialis obliquus portion of the quadriceps muscle also may be noticeable.’
- ‘The deep branch innervates the quadriceps muscle, knee joint, and medial ligament.’
- ‘Bilateral thigh pain or weakness with atrophy of the iliopsoas, quadriceps, and adductor muscles also may be present.’
- ‘The barbell squat involves all four muscles of the quadriceps group, located on the front of the thigh.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin, literally four-headed.