(of a surface or curve) described by an equation of the second degree.
- ‘His doctorate was awarded by Leiden in 1870 for a dissertation Homography applied to the theory of quadric surfaces.’
A quadric surface or curve.
- ‘The equation of the scroll of tangents of the common curve of two quadrics is due to Cayley in 1850.’
- ‘He also published a number of papers on the cubic surface, studying lines on the surface, and other topics such as the Schur quadric.’
- ‘His work in geometry included a study of conics, quadrics and projective geometry.’
- ‘The book contains a wealth of information concerning the projective geometry of conics and quadrics.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin quadra square + -ic.