One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Recurring every four years.
- ‘On November 2, the United States will hold its quadrennial presidential election.’
- ‘The award will be presented formally at the ICN 22nd quadrennial congress in Copenhagen, Denmark, in June 2001.’
- ‘Lobrano's soft-spoken Southern manner belies the quadrennial frenzy that swamps her office each competition year.’
- ‘The top three boxers in the flyweight division automatically qualified for the quadrennial event in Sydney in September.’
- ‘He is reportedly planning to attend the quadrennial soccer tournament's opening ceremony May 31 in Seoul as well.’
- ‘Do it here, at this quadrennial test of body and spirit, and you're in.’
- ‘In the quadrennial election year 2000, the Democrats nominated President Clinton's vice-president, Albert Gore Jr.’
- ‘In Israel, the quadrennial Maccabiah Games showcases the continued Jewish love of basketball.’
- ‘Nonetheless, a purity of sorts still remains, evident in the heavy anticipation of the quadrennial event.’
- ‘The Pacific island nation Kiribati, the newest addition to the Olympic family, made its debut in the quadrennial event.’
- ‘My church denomination, The United Methodist Church, met in its quadrennial General Conference in May of 2004.’
- ‘This year, the quadrennial tournament is back in the United States.’
- ‘This already heated debate over NUP will almost certainly boil over in July at the AFECIO's quadrennial convention.’
- ‘It has many species; some are annual, some biennial, some quadrennial and some fourteen - yearly flowering.’
- ‘Initially the quadrennial affair was scheduled to take place in 1940 but World War II intervened.’
- ‘Leap years are quadrennial, like the Olympics or the World Cup.’
- ‘It represented a first for Thailand and the quadrennial event featured more than 20,000 participants.’
- ‘The quadrennial presidential contests have offered, across the past 40 years, a relentlessly shrinking menu.’
- ‘Measured through national championships and Olympic glory, certain schools are linked with quadrennial success.’
- ‘Shame 2000 is hosted at unolympics.com and will be updated throughout the three weeks of the quadrennial sports event.’
- 1.1 Lasting for or relating to a period of four years.
- ‘‘Like all our swimmers, Maggie is on a quadrennial plan,’ Marsh said.’
Mid 17th century: from quadrennium + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.