Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process of constructing a square with an area equal to that of a circle, or of another figure bounded by a curve.
- ‘This book is a treatise on infinite series, summation, interpolation and quadrature.’
- ‘Craig published several more papers on the logarithmic curve, the curve of quickest descent and quadrature of figures.’
- ‘He generalised Gauss's method of quadrature and expressed the polynomials which are involved as a determinant.’
- ‘He also considered curves of double curvature on the sphere and the quadrature of parts of a spherical surface.’
- ‘Both in-phase and quadrature measurements are recorded.’
The position of the moon or a planet when it is 90° from the sun as viewed from the earth.
- ‘When the Sun-Moon system is in quadrature relative to the Earth, the combined gravitational forces are not as strong.’
- ‘The planet is at east quadrature (ninety degrees east of the Sun) on the 26th.’
A phase difference of 90° between two waves of the same frequency, as in the color difference signals of a television screen.
- ‘A method and apparatus for equalizing a received quadrature amplitude modulated signal is disclosed.’
- ‘It features RS - 422-compatible quadrature output, and programmable resolution and output frequency.’
- ‘The MT312 is a single-chip variable rate digital quadrature phase shift keying satellite demodulator.’
- ‘The L5 signal that will appear with the Block IIF satellites in 2006, will have quadrature phase skip keying.’
- ‘The quadrupolar echo pulse sequence was employed using quadrature detection with complete phase cycling of the pulse pairs.’
Mid 16th century (as a mathematical term): from Latin quadratura ‘a square, squaring’, from quadrare (see quadrate).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.