Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of sound reproduction) transmitted through four channels.
- ‘Simplified, Black Box is four giant, central screens in a cube-shaped room decked out with top-gun quadraphonic sound.’
- ‘And the quadraphonic assemblages of images are often very beautiful.’
- ‘All very shamanic, I'm sure (and also rather quadraphonic, for that matter).’
- ‘Scientists can't check Ohno's hypothesis by watching the DVD of the Y's life story, complete with quadraphonic sound.’
- ‘It goes beyond quadraphonic, heading for a sound stage of 360 degrees.’
- ‘So, we've been pretty much surrounded by quadraphonic icefall throughout the course of the night.’
- ‘This column was written while under the influence of the original quadraphonic version of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.’
- ‘He went on to say, ‘I think that you could call it harmony based music with a quadrophonic backdrop.’’
- ‘The next day, folks had new TV's, new quadraphonic stereos, new sneakers.’
- ‘Yet the Floyd's masterful quadrophonic pension plan has retained an amazing capacity to knock people sideways.’
1960s: from quadri- four + a shortened form of stereophonic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.