One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounin phrase on the QT
Secretly; stealthily.‘she'd better get there on the QT’
covertly, without anyone knowing, in secret, in private, privately, in confidence, confidentially, behind closed doors, behind the scenes, behind someone's back, under cover, under the counter, discreetly, unobserved, quietly, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, on the quiet, privily, conspiratorially, clandestinely, on the sideView synonyms
- ‘They kept it on the QT for some time, but five months later they were engaged, and they married on July 29 last year.’
- ‘The 1949 version has the great Joan Bennett in the role of the mother doing whatever it takes to keep a murder on the q.t.’
- ‘Shimano asked that we keep it on the QT until April 1st for the crankset.’
- ‘The guns are on the q.t. now, thank God for that, and we hope and pray that they do not start again.’
- ‘It was all top secret, hush-hush and very much on the QT.’
- ‘He favors residential integration achieved on the QT, through housing vouchers.’
- ‘Why stir up a debate when you're doing just fine restricting choice on the QT?’
- ‘And, on the QT, Rachel Hunter is dating Anthoney de Rothschild, who is nine years younger.’
- ‘In other words, keep your issues on the QT until you hit the stage.’
- ‘‘This was on the q.t. and simply part of the graft that goes with the job,’ he wrote to his mother.’
- ‘Black Canary recruits Green Arrow to try to spring Wildcat on the QT.’
- ‘She had been saving on the QT for some time and had a total of three-and-a half thousand pounds.’
- ‘Children's books have always benefited from the talent of queer authors and illustrators - on the QT, that is.’
- ‘We used to keep the inhalers in our coat pockets, on the q.t.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of quiet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.