One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounin phrase on the QT
Secretly; stealthily.‘she'd better get there on the QT’
covertly, without anyone knowing, in secret, in private, privately, in confidence, confidentially, behind closed doors, behind the scenes, behind someone's back, under cover, under the counter, discreetly, unobserved, quietly, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, on the quiet, privily, conspiratorially, clandestinely, on the sideView synonyms
- ‘The 1949 version has the great Joan Bennett in the role of the mother doing whatever it takes to keep a murder on the q.t.’
- ‘It was all top secret, hush-hush and very much on the QT.’
- ‘She had been saving on the QT for some time and had a total of three-and-a half thousand pounds.’
- ‘We used to keep the inhalers in our coat pockets, on the q.t.’
- ‘He favors residential integration achieved on the QT, through housing vouchers.’
- ‘And, on the QT, Rachel Hunter is dating Anthoney de Rothschild, who is nine years younger.’
- ‘Children's books have always benefited from the talent of queer authors and illustrators - on the QT, that is.’
- ‘Why stir up a debate when you're doing just fine restricting choice on the QT?’
- ‘Black Canary recruits Green Arrow to try to spring Wildcat on the QT.’
- ‘Shimano asked that we keep it on the QT until April 1st for the crankset.’
- ‘The guns are on the q.t. now, thank God for that, and we hope and pray that they do not start again.’
- ‘In other words, keep your issues on the QT until you hit the stage.’
- ‘They kept it on the QT for some time, but five months later they were engaged, and they married on July 29 last year.’
- ‘‘This was on the q.t. and simply part of the graft that goes with the job,’ he wrote to his mother.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of quiet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.