Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Secretly; stealthily.‘she'd better get there on the QT’
covertly, without anyone knowing, in secret, in private, privately, in confidence, confidentially, behind closed doors, behind the scenes, behind someone's back, under cover, under the counter, discreetly, unobserved, quietly, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, on the quiet, privily, conspiratorially, clandestinely, on the sideView synonyms
- ‘In other words, keep your issues on the QT until you hit the stage.’
- ‘Black Canary recruits Green Arrow to try to spring Wildcat on the QT.’
- ‘She had been saving on the QT for some time and had a total of three-and-a half thousand pounds.’
- ‘Children's books have always benefited from the talent of queer authors and illustrators - on the QT, that is.’
- ‘And, on the QT, Rachel Hunter is dating Anthoney de Rothschild, who is nine years younger.’
- ‘He favors residential integration achieved on the QT, through housing vouchers.’
- ‘Shimano asked that we keep it on the QT until April 1st for the crankset.’
- ‘Why stir up a debate when you're doing just fine restricting choice on the QT?’
- ‘It was all top secret, hush-hush and very much on the QT.’
- ‘They kept it on the QT for some time, but five months later they were engaged, and they married on July 29 last year.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of quiet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.