One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The direction of the Kaaba (the sacred building at Mecca), to which Muslims turn at prayer.
- ‘Someone suggested that sleeping while facing qibla is not an authentic sunnah.’
- ‘The only architectural requirement for a mosque is that it have a wall correctly oriented toward the qibla.’
- ‘The great central arch of the frontispiece of the qibla qubba masks the dome behind.’
- ‘But for a Muslim who is thousands of miles from Mecca, finding the right direction to pray - the qibla, or ‘sacred direction ‘- is not so easy.’’
- ‘With the cloisters complete, it was time to define the qibla or the axis along which lay Mecca.’
Mid 17th century: Arabic, ‘that which is opposite’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.