One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Mid 19th century: initial letter of quantity.
1The seventeenth letter of the alphabet.
- ‘The glossy alabaster white embossment was the silhouette of a horse with the letter Q on its flanks.’
- ‘I encountered some difficulty when required to pronounce the letter Q.’
- ‘The Q virus infects the letter Q on your machine, causing potential damage to any document with a Q in it.’
- 1.1 Denoting the next after P in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘Each element of the set Q occurs exactly once in each row and each column of the table.’
- ‘All of the currently considered stocks in group q remain in the portfolio.’
1Quarter (used to refer to a specified quarter of the fiscal year)‘we expect to have an exceptional Q4’
2Queen (used especially in describing card games and recording moves in chess)‘17.Qb4’
3Question.‘Q: What's the problem? A: I don't feel well’
Denoting the hypothetical source of the passages shared by the gospels of Matthew and Luke, but not found in Mark.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.