Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A large heavy-bodied nonvenomous constrictor snake occurring throughout the Old World tropics.
- ‘This particular snake isn't the first python to get a tough lesson in the dangers of swallowing oversize prey.’
- ‘Non-venomous snakes like boas and pythons grab their prey and squeeze them to death.’
- ‘Flying foxes also live here, plus sea turtles, monitor lizards, pythons, and bearded pigs.’
- ‘They will include pythons, cobras, sand boas, snakes and monitor lizards.’
- ‘Burmese pythons, one of the world's largest snakes and a favorite of the pet trade, are overrunning the iconic U.S. park.’
- ‘The bloated and maggot-ridden bodies of 10 snakes including an eight-foot python have been found dumped in a lake at Cheney Manor.’
- ‘Some snakes, such as pythons, retain tiny leg bones, which may be visible as minuscule claws at the base of the tail.’
- ‘Burmese pythons widely regulate intestinal performance with each meal.’
- ‘Poachers illegally trade in snakes such as the Indian python, slaughtering the snake for their skin.’
- ‘It belongs to the same family as the python and anaconda, which reach lengths of up to 9 or 10m.’
- ‘Snakes really are rather wonderful - I saw file snakes, puff adders and huge pythons.’
- ‘While human encounters with cobras, vipers, and pythons can prove fatal, more often than not it is the snakes that are killed.’
- ‘Perhaps even more worrying, the pythons may be preying on native mangrove fox squirrels and wood storks.’
- ‘Anacondas are related to boa constrictors and pythons.’
- ‘It actually belongs to the python family, boa constrictor, which is non-venomous.’
- ‘I used to keep pythons and boa constrictors years ago.’
- ‘Leopards, hyenas, jackals, sloth bears, cobras, pythons, mongooses and monitor lizards move silently through its forests.’
- ‘The ribbon rose with the rhythm of a python or a cobra, until the tip was at eye level with my face.’
- ‘Burmese pythons are popular - and legal - pet snakes.’
- ‘The snake - a Burmese python - was dumped and later found by a stunned homeowner.’
A high-level general-purpose programming language.
- ‘This file is read and processed by a (mostly custom built) program written in the python language.’
- ‘In Python this is handled automatically via the module/import framework.’
- ‘Code the python program to generate the server-side code.’
- ‘Use it to implement a parser for Python's expression syntax.’
- ‘Write a python application that plays the Rock-Paper-Scissors game against the computer.’
Late 16th century (in the Greek sense): via Latin from Greek Puthōn, the name of a huge serpent killed by Apollo. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.