Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become decomposed through heating to a high temperature.
- ‘Both oil yield and styrene production decreased when pyrolyzed WEPS was repyrolyzed.’
- ‘Gul (a pyrolysed tobacco product) was used in eight states.’
- ‘It was found that the resorcinol-formaldehyde gels could be pyrolyzed to give aerogels of pure carbon.’
- ‘Hydrocarbons within the formation may be pyrolyzed.’
- ‘Coke, which is pyrolyzed from coal in the coke oven, is a reductive reactant used in steel plants.’
1920s: from pyrolysis, on the pattern of analyse.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.