Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become decomposed through heating to a high temperature.
- ‘Both oil yield and styrene production decreased when pyrolyzed WEPS was repyrolyzed.’
- ‘Coke, which is pyrolyzed from coal in the coke oven, is a reductive reactant used in steel plants.’
- ‘Hydrocarbons within the formation may be pyrolyzed.’
- ‘Gul (a pyrolysed tobacco product) was used in eight states.’
- ‘It was found that the resorcinol-formaldehyde gels could be pyrolyzed to give aerogels of pure carbon.’
1920s: from pyrolysis, on the pattern of analyze.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.