Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Endotoxin bacteria also are called pyrogenic bacteria because they activate the inflammatory process and produce fever.’
- ‘It is possible that when BAL is performed in an infected or inflamed area in infants, more pyrogenic cytokines are released.’
- ‘The pyrogenic exotoxins, also known as erythrogenic toxins, are responsible for the rash of scarlet fever.’
- ‘They can cause pyrogenic reaction symptoms, including fever, chills, and hypotension.’
- ‘Chemical mediators are released that secrete pyrogenic endotoxins and exotoxins.’
- 1.1Caused or produced by combustion or the application of heat.‘pyrogenic factors affecting the fluctuation of the forest–savanna boundary’
- ‘Fire-suppression efforts soon followed, largely eliminating fire from these pyrogenic forests.’
- ‘Xeric oak scrub communities are pyrogenic, so their flora and fauna have developed adaptations to fire.’
- ‘Our results confirm the nature of Florida scrub as an ‘autosuccessional’ ecosystem, typical of most pyrogenic shrublands.’
- ‘Fever is the body's response to an infection or inflammation, and is triggered by special pyrogenic hormones from the hypothalamus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.