One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A colorless crystalline compound with basic properties.
A heteroaromatic compound; chemical formula: C₄H₄N₂
- ‘Second, there is no branch in the pyrimidine synthesis pathway.’
- ‘The URA3 gene is essential for yeast pyrimidine biosynthesis.’
- ‘The purine and pyrimidine bases in cells are linked to carbohydrate and in this form are termed, nucleosides.’
- ‘Our analyses also suggest that the utilization of products of de novo pyrimidine biosynthesis may differ between different cell types.’
- ‘The transcription of the operon is coordinately repressed in the presence of excess pyrimidine nucleotides.’
- 1.1 A substituted derivative of this, especially the bases thymine and cytosine present in DNA.
- ‘Both purine and pyrimidine bases present similar PI yields at 266 nm.’
- ‘Both of these products involve dimerization of adjacent pyrimidines on the same DNA strand.’
- ‘Some introns also have a sequence rich in pyrimidines that adds up to 10 additional bases at the 3’ end.’
- ‘Purines and pyrimidines are considered as complex molecules themselves because they are never synthesized as such in vivo.’
Late 19th century: from German Pyrimidin, from pyridine, with the insertion of -im- from imide.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.