Pear-shaped.‘the pyriform fossa’
- ‘Of these, aggregate silk is an adhesive, and piriform silk is used to affix dragline silk to substrates.’
- ‘The bolus passes from the vallecula into the piriform sinuses, before entering the esophagus.’
- ‘A pocket was dissected over the piriform aperture.’
- ‘Microscopically, thin branching hyphae with pyriform conidia can be seen.’
- ‘In normal persons, small amounts of food are commonly retained in the valleculae or pyriform sinus after swallowing.’
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin pyriformis, from pyrum (misspelling of pirum ‘pear’) + -form.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.