[usually as modifier] A hard, heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware.‘a set of Pyrex dishes’
- ‘Polishing its thick slab of Pyrex glass has been described as the Apollo project of the Great Depression era.’
- ‘Samples were irradiated in Pyrex vials, which were suspended from a rotating sample holder.’
- ‘It advertised washing machines, electric irons, and Pyrex casseroles.’
- ‘I have a quart-sized Pyrex glass pitcher that's absolutely perfect.’
- ‘Combine maple syrup, butter and lemon juice in large Pyrex measuring cup.’
Early 20th century: an invented word.