One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier A hard heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware.‘a set of Pyrex dishes’
- ‘Combine maple syrup, butter and lemon juice in large Pyrex measuring cup.’
- ‘I have a quart-sized Pyrex glass pitcher that's absolutely perfect.’
- ‘Samples were irradiated in Pyrex vials, which were suspended from a rotating sample holder.’
- ‘It advertised washing machines, electric irons, and Pyrex casseroles.’
- ‘Polishing its thick slab of Pyrex glass has been described as the Apollo project of the Great Depression era.’
Early 20th century: an invented word.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.