Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually as modifier] A hard, heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware.‘a set of Pyrex dishes’
- ‘Polishing its thick slab of Pyrex glass has been described as the Apollo project of the Great Depression era.’
- ‘Samples were irradiated in Pyrex vials, which were suspended from a rotating sample holder.’
- ‘It advertised washing machines, electric irons, and Pyrex casseroles.’
- ‘I have a quart-sized Pyrex glass pitcher that's absolutely perfect.’
- ‘Combine maple syrup, butter and lemon juice in large Pyrex measuring cup.’
Early 20th century: an invented word.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.