Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of insecticidal compounds present in pyrethrum flowers.
- ‘Many of these sprays contain one or more of a group of insecticidal compounds known as pyrethrins.’
- ‘Citrus-oil products, pyrethrin products, as well as those with pyrethrins and diatomaceous earth, may be effective.’
- ‘If you absolutely have to, you can spray with an insecticidal soap or insecticide that contains pyrethrins.’
- ‘If the infestation is severe, topically administered permethrin, pyrethrin, or malathion also may help.’
- ‘These synthetic chemicals mimic the action of natural pyrethrins derived from chrysanthemum flowers.’
1920s: from pyrethrum + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.