Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of insecticidal compounds present in pyrethrum flowers.
- ‘If the infestation is severe, topically administered permethrin, pyrethrin, or malathion also may help.’
- ‘If you absolutely have to, you can spray with an insecticidal soap or insecticide that contains pyrethrins.’
- ‘Many of these sprays contain one or more of a group of insecticidal compounds known as pyrethrins.’
- ‘Citrus-oil products, pyrethrin products, as well as those with pyrethrins and diatomaceous earth, may be effective.’
- ‘These synthetic chemicals mimic the action of natural pyrethrins derived from chrysanthemum flowers.’
1920s: from pyrethrum + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.