A thorny evergreen Eurasian shrub with white flowers and bright red or yellow berries that is a popular ornamental.Also called firethorn
- ‘The pyracantha bushes flaunt the screaming orange berries, the deciduous hollies sport sparkling red ones on bare stems.’
- ‘Wall shrubs including pyracantha or ornamental quince can be trained and get less out of control than some vigorous climbers.’
- ‘But the robins weren't the only birds that took advantage of the pyracantha berries while they were on the bush.’
- ‘Plants such as pyracantha and Japanese quince produce flowers and berries on branches more than 1 year old.’
- ‘Use bouquets of pyracantha berries in small vases at place settings.’
Modern Latin, via Latin from Greek purakantha, the name of an unidentified plant, from pur fire + akantha thorn.