A shrew that is one of the smallest known mammals.
- ‘Sometimes I feel more like a pygmy shrew than an armadillo.’
- ‘They dominate their other songs like The Colussus of Rhodes towering over a huddle of pygmy shrews.’
- ‘The pygmy shrew is the smallest mammal you'll find in the northern hemisphere.’
- ‘‘Technically, perhaps,’ replied the imperturbable polymog, ‘but you are to a great white as a pygmy shrew is to a rhinoceros.’’
- ‘While mice, rats and moles, rabbits, frogs and a pygmy shrew were recorded, the vast majority of cats favoured birds.’