One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small owl found in America and northern Eurasia.
Genus Glaucidium, family Strigidae: several species
- ‘From the forest's edge a warm wind carried the scent of wild spices and the sweet call of a pygmy owl.’
- ‘The pygmy owl, with a reddish tail and a grey-brown body, has been listed as endangered since 1997.’
- ‘Looking for the tiny pygmy owl in the dark was a surreal experience.’
- ‘Small raptors such as pygmy owls, for example, elicited the most frenzied chickadee danger calls.’
- ‘To someone who cares about Ironwood's petroglyphs, pygmy owls, and bighorn sheep, these requests might seem absurd.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.