Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inflammation of the substance of the kidney as a result of bacterial infection.
- ‘Parenteral treatment of pyelonephritis should be continued until the patient becomes afebrile.’
- ‘Systemic maternal febrile infections such as pyelonephritis have been associated with preterm delivery.’
- ‘Because of hematuria, bacteriuria and pyuria, Susan had been treated for a urinary tract infection with possible pyelonephritis.’
- ‘High fever with chills is typical of pyelonephritis and pneumonia.’
- ‘White blood cell casts are usually indicative of a renal inflammatory process such as pyelonephritis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek puelos trough, basin + nephritis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.