One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See puzzlingas submodifier ‘prices for Goya paintings are still puzzlingly low’sentence adverb ‘puzzlingly, almost no mention of Hong Kong was made’
- ‘‘I don't have the voice in my head,’ he says, puzzlingly, ‘It is on the paper.’’
- ‘The highest price is 151 rupees, attached to a puzzlingly scrawny white bird.’
- ‘Botticelli's work is puzzlingly varied in quality.’
- ‘It's pleasant, but puzzlingly inconsequential.’
- ‘‘I've been trying to say this to you for the best part of 10 years, but never quite found the words,’ he said, puzzlingly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.