One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See puzzlingas submodifier ‘prices for Goya paintings are still puzzlingly low’sentence adverb ‘puzzlingly, almost no mention of Hong Kong was made’
- ‘The highest price is 151 rupees, attached to a puzzlingly scrawny white bird.’
- ‘‘I've been trying to say this to you for the best part of 10 years, but never quite found the words,’ he said, puzzlingly.’
- ‘It's pleasant, but puzzlingly inconsequential.’
- ‘‘I don't have the voice in my head,’ he says, puzzlingly, ‘It is on the paper.’’
- ‘Botticelli's work is puzzlingly varied in quality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.