Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing one to be puzzled; perplexing.‘only one very puzzling question remains unanswered’‘that was the most puzzling aspect of the whole affair’
- ‘The ending increased my strong, if puzzling, reaction.’
- ‘Among these, the most puzzling element to analysts has been the growth in personal income.’
- ‘The Labour leader added that other aspects of the situation were puzzling.’
- ‘But the custom may seem puzzling or bizarre to many people today.’
- ‘What was puzzling was the manner of his exit.’
- ‘Given the large structural changes in the complex, the small change in dynamics might seem puzzling.’
- ‘But the current discussion about moral status misses much that is most essential, and most interesting, and most puzzling.’
- ‘Even so, I did find the whole arrangement rather puzzling.’
- ‘And so in that sense, he is not puzzling to us.’
- ‘Forensic tests must be done to bring more information in this puzzling, sad discovery.’
- ‘It really has been a very puzzling week.’
- ‘IBS can affect children, too, giving them a puzzling set of digestive complaints.’
- ‘There are many puzzling features about the French Air Force in 1940.’
- ‘At first blush, these responses may seem puzzling.’
- ‘For an area that depends so much on tourism, the attitude of the authorities is puzzling.’
- ‘Every few yards there is a surreal spectacle, a puzzling riddle or a mysterious door.’
- ‘The movie also has a puzzling attitude towards women.’
- ‘However, there is one aspect of the debate that is, to me, simply puzzling.’
- ‘Even more puzzling is that larger lizards from northern populations grow more slowly to reach their adult body size.’
- ‘With hindsight, it is puzzling that I was not electrocuted.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.