One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal A stupid or worthless person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘A disturbingly perky androgynous sprite tries to spread the joy of music to an unpopular putz named Buzz.’
- ‘I'd have an easier time believing that Nick was a rocket scientist than a mean spirited putz.’
- ‘But then again, I'm the putz who ate artichoke leaves.’
- ‘Not that the Dad was much better, but he seemed a little more natural around them, even if he was a putz and a control freak.’
- ‘‘You're an arrogant putz,’ a teacher yells at his student.’
- ‘As Dracula, Dominic Purcell is a putz, and represents one of the worst villain casting decisions of the year.’
- ‘But our portly putz doesn't realize that, when discovering the truth, you may not get exactly what you want.’
- ‘He runs crying to Uwe, the putz who works as a feng shui consultant and has fountains and sand gardens in his home.’
- ‘‘But a good looking putz,’ he joked, kissing my cheekbone gently.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he was such a putz during the rest of the movie that I had difficulty believing he could be both people.’
- ‘Serves the putz right for letting his hormones swim around unsupervised.’
- ‘Usually I would pass on a crazy broad like this but no woman was going to treat me like a putz.’
- ‘They often rightly forget some putz's inane sloganeering.’
- ‘Daphne is not beautiful, and Daphne is a putz, a klutz.’
- ‘The putz that Greta put in charge up there probably gave them no option.’
- ‘With that high center of gravity you're twice as likely as some putz in a Pontiac to tip precariously onto two wheels.’
- ‘Boss David Brent (creator Ricky Gervais) is the prototypical, uninspiring putz with a bad goatee and an even worse sense of humor.’
- ‘Problem is, Polsky doesn't have the chutzpah to go through with it - and he's a putz.’
- ‘But let's say you're one step above a putz or a show-off.’
- ‘In fact, Santorum is such a putz that he was once named the the dumbest member of Congress.’
2vulgar slang A penis.
verb[no object]North American
Engage in inconsequential or unproductive activity.‘too much putzing around up there would ruin them’
- ‘Okay, I was just putzing around on the net waiting for R. to wake up and stumbled on to Crazy eBay mom.’
- ‘It took us twice as long as my normal pace alone to putz our way through the dark streets to my apartment.’
- ‘He/she will then putz along at 50 kilometres an hour while sightseeing.’
- ‘Let's see, at last count there were at least two charming little robots putzing about the surface of the ‘Red Planet’.’
- ‘I am totally free to play games, read, putz around with my site, organize my MP3s, surf the web, watch movies or sleep.’
- ‘Julian was putzing around behind the bar when Gloria came over to visit him.’
1960s: Yiddish, literally ‘penis’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.