The rapid intermittent sound of a small gasoline engine.‘she heard the putt-putt of a boat coming toward them’
- ‘She doesn't hear the putt-putt of the moped as it approaches.’
- ‘Elsewhere, the delightful putt-putt sounds of fishing traffic off Vancouver Island sidle up alongside the Pärt and Ligeti and early Floyd influences.’
- ‘For such a big machine, it made an incredibly gentle noise, the calming putt-putt of an outboard engine on a small boat.’
Make a rapid intermittent sound.‘the machine gun putt-putted behind me’
- ‘It started to sputter and putt-putt and just as I reached my friends' garage door, it died.’
- ‘They were plunging feet-first toward a little motorboat putt-putting across the ocean.’
Early 20th century: imitative.