One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of a fielder in retiring a batter or runner.
- ‘A three-time Gold Glove recipient, Carter holds records for career putouts and total chances.’
- ‘Limbaugh, who likes to hug the right-field line, boasts of many putouts in foul territory.’
- ‘His number of putouts didn't increase dramatically, but defensive statistics don't always measure range adequately.’
- ‘He holds the major league record for putouts by a catcher and played an NL-record 2,056 games at the position.’
- ‘Since his first full season in 1997, he leads center fielders in putouts and assists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.