One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deceive or hoax someone.
- ‘Of the questions posed above, the only one I can answer definitively is whether Saunders is making this stuff up; she is not putting us on.’
- ‘Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it’
- ‘In person he is gentle and friendly, and wouldn't think of putting you on.’
- ‘Oh, come on, you know I was only putting you on.’
- ‘It's entirely clear from the context and the over-the-top quality of the leaked chapter that he is putting us on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.