One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small blister or pimple on the skin containing pus.
pimple, spot, blackhead, boil, swelling, eruption, carbuncle, wen, cyst, abscess, blisterView synonyms
- ‘The scalp may appear normal or have areas of erythema and pustule formation.’
- ‘The bumps become pustules - sharply raised, usually round and firm to the touch.’
- ‘As the disease progresses, small light colored pustules will form in the center of the spots.’
- ‘All three reactions with early pustule formation indicate concurrent tuberculosis.’
- ‘The most common signs of folliculitis are red bumps and pustules on the glutes and leg area.’
- ‘Tinea barbae may cause scaling, follicular pustules, and erythema.’
- ‘Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory facial dermatosis of unknown aetiology characterised by erythema and pustules.’
- ‘A few days later, painful blister-like pustules begin to form on the skin.’
- ‘Comedones, pustules, and papules may be present.’
- ‘The lesions develop into 1-5 mm yellow-grey papules or pustules, with surrounding erythema, confined to the follicular ostia.’
- ‘How it works on spots: It kills the acne bacteria which cause infection and lead to the formation of spots and pustules.’
- ‘Two months later, the purulent discharge, pustules, and erythema had resolved, and the nodules had diminished in size.’
- ‘Numerous small pustules occur on surface of branchial regions.’
- ‘In 1789 there was an outbreak of swinepox and Jenner inoculated three people with pustules from this infection.’
- ‘Mild acne is characterized by the presence of few to several papules and pustules, but no nodules.’
- ‘The border of the lesion may contain pustules or follicular papules.’
- ‘Crowds don't have hearts, or veins, or pustules, or cancers, though individuals do.’
- ‘Lesions consist of erythematous papules, nodules, pustules, verrucous, or granulomatous lesions.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.’
- ‘Erythematous papules and pustules characterize inflammatory acne, but comedones may also be present.’
- 1.1Biology A small raised spot or rounded swelling, especially one on a plant resulting from fungal infection.
- ‘Some fields surveyed had orange leaf rust pustules on the lower leaves.’
- ‘Bacterial blight and bacterial pustule have been identified in many soybean fields this year.’
- ‘Mature soybean rust pustules have a small round opening at the top for spore release.’
- ‘Unlike bacterial blight, warm temperatures do not limit development of bacterial pustule.’
- ‘As the name implies the rust pustules appear as distinct yellow-orange stripes on the leaves.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pustula.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.