One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small blister or pimple on the skin containing pus.
pimple, spot, blackhead, boil, swelling, eruption, carbuncle, wen, cyst, abscess, blisterView synonyms
- ‘Mild acne is characterized by the presence of few to several papules and pustules, but no nodules.’
- ‘The lesions develop into 1-5 mm yellow-grey papules or pustules, with surrounding erythema, confined to the follicular ostia.’
- ‘How it works on spots: It kills the acne bacteria which cause infection and lead to the formation of spots and pustules.’
- ‘The border of the lesion may contain pustules or follicular papules.’
- ‘Comedones, pustules, and papules may be present.’
- ‘Two months later, the purulent discharge, pustules, and erythema had resolved, and the nodules had diminished in size.’
- ‘Lesions consist of erythematous papules, nodules, pustules, verrucous, or granulomatous lesions.’
- ‘Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory facial dermatosis of unknown aetiology characterised by erythema and pustules.’
- ‘A few days later, painful blister-like pustules begin to form on the skin.’
- ‘Tinea barbae may cause scaling, follicular pustules, and erythema.’
- ‘Numerous small pustules occur on surface of branchial regions.’
- ‘The bumps become pustules - sharply raised, usually round and firm to the touch.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.’
- ‘Crowds don't have hearts, or veins, or pustules, or cancers, though individuals do.’
- ‘All three reactions with early pustule formation indicate concurrent tuberculosis.’
- ‘In 1789 there was an outbreak of swinepox and Jenner inoculated three people with pustules from this infection.’
- ‘As the disease progresses, small light colored pustules will form in the center of the spots.’
- ‘The most common signs of folliculitis are red bumps and pustules on the glutes and leg area.’
- ‘Erythematous papules and pustules characterize inflammatory acne, but comedones may also be present.’
- ‘The scalp may appear normal or have areas of erythema and pustule formation.’
- 1.1Biology A small raised spot or rounded swelling, especially one on a plant resulting from fungal infection.
- ‘As the name implies the rust pustules appear as distinct yellow-orange stripes on the leaves.’
- ‘Some fields surveyed had orange leaf rust pustules on the lower leaves.’
- ‘Mature soybean rust pustules have a small round opening at the top for spore release.’
- ‘Unlike bacterial blight, warm temperatures do not limit development of bacterial pustule.’
- ‘Bacterial blight and bacterial pustule have been identified in many soybean fields this year.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pustula.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.