One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small blister or pimple on the skin containing pus.
pimple, spot, blackhead, boil, swelling, eruption, carbuncle, wen, cyst, abscess, blisterView synonyms
- ‘Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory facial dermatosis of unknown aetiology characterised by erythema and pustules.’
- ‘The border of the lesion may contain pustules or follicular papules.’
- ‘The bumps become pustules - sharply raised, usually round and firm to the touch.’
- ‘Lesions consist of erythematous papules, nodules, pustules, verrucous, or granulomatous lesions.’
- ‘All three reactions with early pustule formation indicate concurrent tuberculosis.’
- ‘Numerous small pustules occur on surface of branchial regions.’
- ‘Two months later, the purulent discharge, pustules, and erythema had resolved, and the nodules had diminished in size.’
- ‘As the disease progresses, small light colored pustules will form in the center of the spots.’
- ‘In 1789 there was an outbreak of swinepox and Jenner inoculated three people with pustules from this infection.’
- ‘The most common signs of folliculitis are red bumps and pustules on the glutes and leg area.’
- ‘How it works on spots: It kills the acne bacteria which cause infection and lead to the formation of spots and pustules.’
- ‘Comedones, pustules, and papules may be present.’
- ‘The lesions develop into 1-5 mm yellow-grey papules or pustules, with surrounding erythema, confined to the follicular ostia.’
- ‘A few days later, painful blister-like pustules begin to form on the skin.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.’
- ‘Erythematous papules and pustules characterize inflammatory acne, but comedones may also be present.’
- ‘Tinea barbae may cause scaling, follicular pustules, and erythema.’
- ‘The scalp may appear normal or have areas of erythema and pustule formation.’
- ‘Crowds don't have hearts, or veins, or pustules, or cancers, though individuals do.’
- ‘Mild acne is characterized by the presence of few to several papules and pustules, but no nodules.’
- 1.1Biology A small raised spot or rounded swelling, especially one on a plant resulting from fungal infection.
- ‘Mature soybean rust pustules have a small round opening at the top for spore release.’
- ‘Some fields surveyed had orange leaf rust pustules on the lower leaves.’
- ‘Unlike bacterial blight, warm temperatures do not limit development of bacterial pustule.’
- ‘Bacterial blight and bacterial pustule have been identified in many soybean fields this year.’
- ‘As the name implies the rust pustules appear as distinct yellow-orange stripes on the leaves.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pustula.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.