Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rod operated by cams that opens and closes the valves in an internal combustion engine.
- ‘A single big cam is used to pushrod operate two valves per cylinder at the top end, inside aluminium cylinder heads.’
- ‘Lifter lubrication is delivered down the pushrods from the galleries that oil the rocker arms.’
- ‘By placing a cam phasing system on the camshaft, a pushrod engine can be tuned to take much higher levels of exhaust gas recirculation.’
- ‘Nascar uses pushrod engines and at the moment we don't make one.’
- ‘No pushrod, rocker arm, or lifter is infinitely stiff; they all bend and deflect to various degrees.’
- ‘‘The new engine we put in the car on Saturday night uses a different lifter, and we didn't have the right size pushrods,’ said Haddock.’
- ‘The F400 uses a pushrod design and all the wishbones are aerodynamically shaped.’
- ‘Because the pushrod doesn't actuate the valve, no combustion takes place.’
- ‘Stacked one above the other, the camshafts operate three valves per cylinder (two intakes) via short pushrods.’
- ‘For example, the GM V8 in the GTS is still a pushrod engine.’
- ‘If you've written off pistons and pushrods as obsolete 20 th-century artifacts, you're ahead of the game.’
- ‘Rectangular tube is used for the chassis, with the fabricated pushrod suspension being made from round section.’
- ‘Tanzi stated, ‘The pushrod is the last thing you put in an engine that determines proper valvetrain geometry.’’
- ‘Rust inhibitors protect iron/steel parts, such as lifters and pushrods, from oxygen attack.’
- ‘Also, use the flashlight to examine the elevator pushrod bolts.’
- ‘A new cylinder head design employs the transfer arm and pushrod to locate the exhaust valve across the head from the dual intake valves.’
- ‘The base-model GXi came with an ageing Endura 1.3 pushrod engine producing just 60 bhp.’
- ‘The only downside is that it uses long pushrods.’
- ‘By comparison, the Cadillac's 16 overhead valves and pushrods sound trite at best.’
- ‘The Breva is powered by an air-cooled, fuel injected, 90 degree, V twin pushrod engine pumping out 35.5kW.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.