Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rod operated by cams that opens and closes the valves in an internal combustion engine.
- ‘Rectangular tube is used for the chassis, with the fabricated pushrod suspension being made from round section.’
- ‘Also, use the flashlight to examine the elevator pushrod bolts.’
- ‘The base-model GXi came with an ageing Endura 1.3 pushrod engine producing just 60 bhp.’
- ‘By placing a cam phasing system on the camshaft, a pushrod engine can be tuned to take much higher levels of exhaust gas recirculation.’
- ‘The Breva is powered by an air-cooled, fuel injected, 90 degree, V twin pushrod engine pumping out 35.5kW.’
- ‘‘The new engine we put in the car on Saturday night uses a different lifter, and we didn't have the right size pushrods,’ said Haddock.’
- ‘The only downside is that it uses long pushrods.’
- ‘By comparison, the Cadillac's 16 overhead valves and pushrods sound trite at best.’
- ‘If you've written off pistons and pushrods as obsolete 20 th-century artifacts, you're ahead of the game.’
- ‘Stacked one above the other, the camshafts operate three valves per cylinder (two intakes) via short pushrods.’
- ‘Rust inhibitors protect iron/steel parts, such as lifters and pushrods, from oxygen attack.’
- ‘A single big cam is used to pushrod operate two valves per cylinder at the top end, inside aluminium cylinder heads.’
- ‘Nascar uses pushrod engines and at the moment we don't make one.’
- ‘The F400 uses a pushrod design and all the wishbones are aerodynamically shaped.’
- ‘For example, the GM V8 in the GTS is still a pushrod engine.’
- ‘Lifter lubrication is delivered down the pushrods from the galleries that oil the rocker arms.’
- ‘Tanzi stated, ‘The pushrod is the last thing you put in an engine that determines proper valvetrain geometry.’’
- ‘Because the pushrod doesn't actuate the valve, no combustion takes place.’
- ‘A new cylinder head design employs the transfer arm and pushrod to locate the exhaust valve across the head from the dual intake valves.’
- ‘No pushrod, rocker arm, or lifter is infinitely stiff; they all bend and deflect to various degrees.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.