One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rod operated by cams that opens and closes the valves in an internal combustion engine.
- ‘The F400 uses a pushrod design and all the wishbones are aerodynamically shaped.’
- ‘The Breva is powered by an air-cooled, fuel injected, 90 degree, V twin pushrod engine pumping out 35.5kW.’
- ‘A new cylinder head design employs the transfer arm and pushrod to locate the exhaust valve across the head from the dual intake valves.’
- ‘Rectangular tube is used for the chassis, with the fabricated pushrod suspension being made from round section.’
- ‘By comparison, the Cadillac's 16 overhead valves and pushrods sound trite at best.’
- ‘‘The new engine we put in the car on Saturday night uses a different lifter, and we didn't have the right size pushrods,’ said Haddock.’
- ‘For example, the GM V8 in the GTS is still a pushrod engine.’
- ‘Lifter lubrication is delivered down the pushrods from the galleries that oil the rocker arms.’
- ‘A single big cam is used to pushrod operate two valves per cylinder at the top end, inside aluminium cylinder heads.’
- ‘No pushrod, rocker arm, or lifter is infinitely stiff; they all bend and deflect to various degrees.’
- ‘Tanzi stated, ‘The pushrod is the last thing you put in an engine that determines proper valvetrain geometry.’’
- ‘Also, use the flashlight to examine the elevator pushrod bolts.’
- ‘Rust inhibitors protect iron/steel parts, such as lifters and pushrods, from oxygen attack.’
- ‘The only downside is that it uses long pushrods.’
- ‘Stacked one above the other, the camshafts operate three valves per cylinder (two intakes) via short pushrods.’
- ‘By placing a cam phasing system on the camshaft, a pushrod engine can be tuned to take much higher levels of exhaust gas recirculation.’
- ‘If you've written off pistons and pushrods as obsolete 20 th-century artifacts, you're ahead of the game.’
- ‘The base-model GXi came with an ageing Endura 1.3 pushrod engine producing just 60 bhp.’
- ‘Nascar uses pushrod engines and at the moment we don't make one.’
- ‘Because the pushrod doesn't actuate the valve, no combustion takes place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.