Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thumbtack with a spherical or cylindrical head of colored plastic, used to fasten papers to a bulletin board or to indicate positions on charts and maps.
- ‘Insert clear pushpins in a circle around the middle of a 3-inch-diameter plastic-foam ball, then add rows to cover the ball.’
- ‘Insert map pins, metal tacks, and pushpins with plastic heads to create dots, stripes, and hearts.’
- ‘Secure the tieback around a pushpin in the window frame.’
- ‘They're held up by colored plastic pushpins in crowded, overlapping, random order.’
- ‘The negatives were placed side by side, attached with pushpins.’
- ‘On one wall of the gallery, Northridge pressed 100 pushpins into a tight circle.’
- ‘There's a map filled with pushpins showing the hometowns of the motel's guests.’
- ‘If I need a package of pushpins, I'm likely to go anywhere that's nearby and cheap.’
- ‘A washer was used around the holes to help position the pushpins for assembly.’
- ‘Smaller than the top of a pushpin, the LP910x family packs a big punch.’
- ‘Secure the liner with pushpins at the inside corners.’
- ‘We provide the map, and other people put in the pushpins.’
- ‘Soon the big box was sliced in half, outfitted with cardboard shelves and decorated with stickers, pushpins and photos.’
- ‘Then I learned about Google's new frappr community mapping service and thought readers of the site might want to add a pushpin to the map.’
- ‘Clusters of pushpins and Styrofoam cups suggested buildings or gathering armies.’
- ‘Those pushpins have to be pushed from one side of the receiver out the other.’
- ‘The pushpins are very tight and require a punch and hammer to knock out.’
- ‘The pushpin color photograms are created by placing the pins directly into the photographic paper surface in the color darkroom.’
- ‘Press the fabric in place with your hands, using pushpins to temporarily hold it in place.’
- ‘It's dotted with colored pushpins, each one representing a city where someone has purchased a SawStop table saw.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.