One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1attributive Operated by pushing and pulling.
- ‘Instead, he focuses on the push-pull forces that simultaneously bind Johnny and Sarah's family and threaten to tear them apart.’
- ‘The flight controls feature all push-pull rod primary controls and boosted ailerons.’
- ‘This means that the heatsink fan combination moves air in a push-pull fashion.’
- ‘Dual-Safe's handgun lock box uses a push-pull latch for fast access.’
- ‘Like elsewhere, colorfully painted local trains connected larger cities with smaller ones and operated continuously in push-pull fashion.’
- ‘Combining them so they appear harmonious and have no noticeable push-pull effect is also quite an achievement.’
- ‘A marc locomotive and push-pull train were in the Camden station as we left to go to lunch.’
- ‘If the ribbon drive is a push-pull drive system then the operation could be either intermittent or continuous.’
- ‘Kiaer's idiosyncratic palette is filled with strong tonal contrasts, which add to the push-pull effect.’
- ‘Lemo's easy to connect and disconnect push-pull connectors are available in more than 55,000 off-the-shelf versions.’
- ‘Frankly, I think it's going to be a push-pull effect.’
- ‘Tapes will load using a push-pull motion that the drive participates in, eliminating the motion for automation of the robot.’
- ‘You're still working in the push-pull system from Week 3, but step it up in intensity, pairing exercises into supersets.’
- ‘Sylvia Plath and the Theatre of Mourning continues this tense push-pull struggle with biography throughout its pages.’
- ‘This push-pull effect is stronger the closer the second car gets to the first.’
- ‘A push drill is similar to a push-pull screwdriver in the respect that you operate the tool by the same movement.’
- ‘The diesels and the new generation push-pull trains are chugging, but the sound of the trains is as lyrical as ever to them.’
- ‘This forces the works into a push-pull situation.’
- ‘There is no doubt that the children have been placed in a push-pull situation, and impacted by the ongoing custody-access dispute.’
- ‘The coolest aspect of podcasting to me is the nature of its automatic push-pull technology that fetches stuff for me.’
- 1.1Electronics Having or involving two matched tubes or transistors that operate 180 degrees out of phase, conducting alternately for increased output.
- ‘Designed for medical applications, a rugged push-pull connector offered by ODU-USA Inc. can withstand more than 1000 mating cycles.’
- ‘Fixed frequency, push-pull power stages tend to suffer lower noise while remaining easier to monitor during testing.’
- ‘The crosshead can be removed to conduct push-pull open-frame tests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.