Consisting of, containing, or discharging pus.
infected, festering, suppurating, pus-filled, putrid, putrefying, putrefactive, purulent, poisoned, diseasedView synonyms
- ‘These complications include pleural infection or empyema, meningitis, purulent pericarditis, or endocarditis.’
- ‘The bacterium - which, when symptomatic, causes purulent discharge, dysuria, and urethritis - can also cause ascending infections leading to pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility.’
- ‘In such outbreaks, pneumococcal infections have included sepsis, meningitis, purulent conjunctivitis, recurrent otitis media and sinusitis.’
- ‘In patients with an obvious focus of infections (eg, purulent nasal discharge, abdominal tenderness, profuse green diarrhea), a focused diagnostic workup is required.’
- ‘There was swelling, tenderness, erythema, and slight purulent discharge from the lesion.’
Late Middle English: from Latin purulentus festering from pus, pur- (see pus).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.