One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier A seine that can be drawn into the shape of a bag using the line along the bottom of the net like the drawstring of a purse.
- ‘Eastern tropical Pacific D. delphis skin tissue samples were obtained from animals caught incidentally in the yellow-fin tuna purse seine fishery.’
- ‘He is a strong advocate of sound fishery management, who authored legislation in 1997 that prevents the annual slaughter of thousands of dolphins during tuna purse seine fishing.’
- ‘When the tuna is harvested with purse seine nets some dolphins become trapped and often die unless released quickly.’
- ‘It has been stolen from them by a mistake made by the Ministry of Fisheries when it allowed purse seine fishing to target kahawai.’
- ‘Congress enacted the Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972 to protect dolphins from the effects of purse seine tuna fishing.’
- ‘Larger vessels explored the offshore feeding grounds and, using the new purse seine technology, brought back unprecedented catches.’
- ‘Half or more of sharks killed are ‘bycatch,’ snagged while fishermen are targeting other species on longlines or in enormous trawl nets, gillnets or purse seines.’’
- ‘The Commission has recommended that the blue marlin landings of pelagic longlines and purse seine vessels be reduced to at most 50% of the 1996 or 1999 level, whichever is greater.’
- ‘Evolving technologies have included aboriginal spears, nets, and weirs and European purse seines.’
- ‘We wrapped it in purse seine netting; in the process we accidentally wrapped up a six-foot blue shark that was feeding on the whale.’
- ‘The law prevented fishermen from intentionally setting purse seine nets around dolphin pods in order to capture the tuna swimming in schools below them.’
- ‘In fact, the total allowable commercial catch has been set at a level that is significantly less than the tonnage that purse seine fishers alone are able to catch under the current permit regime.’
- ‘Skipjack is said to be very healthy and robust, and skipjack tuna is targeted mainly by the long line and the purse seine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.