1A rash of purple spots on the skin caused by internal bleeding from small blood vessels.
spots, skin eruption, breakoutView synonyms
- ‘One or more of the following skin lesions were seen in 70% of all cases: purpura, macular or papular erythematous rash, urticaria, and subcutaneous nodules.’
- ‘Inhibition of platelet adhesion and aggregation, prolonged bleeding time, purpura, postoperative wound hemorrhage’
- ‘Many of these patients had edema, purpura, or ecchymosis.’
- ‘As described in the literature, the patient had a preceding upper respiratory infection, followed several days later by headache, myalgias, purpura, and fever.’
- ‘Adverse effects of warfarin include haemorrhage, hypersensitivity and skin rashes, alopecia, and purpura.’
- 1.1[with adjective]Any of several diseases characterized by a purple rash.‘psychogenic purpura’
- ‘Another immune thrombocytopenia is posttransfusion purpura, where immune destruction of both transfused and recipient platelets is seen, usually beginning 5 to 12 days after transfusion.’
- ‘In 1988, she presented with idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura and anemia.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with a thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura like syndrome and was treated with daily plasma exchange and steroids.’
- ‘She developed purpura fulminans and compartment syndrome in her limbs, requiring fasciotomies.’
- ‘Prone positioning did not worsen pre-existing skin injury (graft-vs-host disease and purpura fulminans).’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, from Greek porphura purple.