Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Built for a particular purpose.‘purpose-built accommodations for the elderly’
specific, particular, tailor-made, custom-builtView synonyms
- ‘Large clumps are best supported with pea sticks or a purpose-made plant support placed around the plant as it emerges in spring and which, although unsightly at first, will soon be hidden by foliage.’
- ‘The department will have specialist equipment, a full laboratory and a specialist nurse, and we will be working out of a modern, purpose-designed hospital.’
- ‘The bed in question is a very specialised one, purpose-designed to help patients with pressure sores.’
- ‘Four weeks ago, the archive, formerly based at Ripon, moved into purpose-designed headquarters within the swish new York St John's College building, opposite the Union Terrace car park.’
- ‘Sales have risen for a purpose-designed product that is generally not found widely discarded across the countryside, trees, streets and seas of the UK.’
- ‘The new breast unit will bring together the screening and symptomatic breast disease services in a purpose-designed facility.’
- ‘It has been suggested a purpose-designed racing lane could be provided on private land at Clickham Farm.’
- ‘The show boasts one of the world's largest purpose-built marinas.’
- ‘In a purpose-built exhibition hall, the history associated with the treasure will be explained and displayed.’
- ‘The move into new purpose-designed premises at Clifton Moor will give a major boost to our company, our parent group and our employees.’
- ‘Sources said the artefacts would be displayed in a purpose-built secure exhibition centre.’
- ‘Use washing soda crystals dissolved in hot water, and a scrubbing brush, or a purpose-made acid.’
- ‘The company has started construction of high quality office/commercial buildings on a site adjacent to its Valley Road business park including purpose-designed offices, workshops and storage.’
- ‘They are now proposing to build a new purpose-designed surgery off Occupation Lane, on a site that is close to the centre with easy access on foot or by car and ample space for parking.’
- ‘Orthopaedics will have purpose-built accommodation, also on level four, and close to the main theatres.’
- ‘The real solution is a purpose-designed server with a very high storage capacity.’
- ‘A number of these were purpose-made from zinc alloy and some were firearms converted to fire the gas cartridge.’
- ‘It would provide purpose-designed opportunities for outdoor entertainment and activities.’
- ‘By completing the purpose-designed building in a considerably shorter timescale, there is a direct benefit to patients who can now be seen and treated much earlier and in a state-of-the-art facility.’
- ‘Elderly residents in Bedford appear to have backed plans to sell their almshouses and use the cash for a purpose-built project.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.