One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; allegedly.‘the photos purportedly show Nina with a lover’‘a purportedly independent arbitrator’
- ‘The woman found a letter purportedly signed by the Prime Minister.’
- ‘Purportedly, people view themselves as recovering instead of recovered to remind them that they should not drink.’
- ‘The 1991 law purportedly aimed to separate legal entities from the State.’
- ‘The following is the full text of a letter purportedly written by the captured British sailor.’
- ‘This cast doubt on her true identity and her story as told in the purportedly factual book.’
- ‘The film is only purportedly about rock and roll.’
- ‘The artist and filmmaker purportedly formed a strong bond.’
- ‘The documents purportedly show the distribution of regular under-the-table cash payments to senior party members.’
- ‘He pleaded guilty to possession of an unregistered firearm, which he tended to brandish at his employees, purportedly in jest.’
- ‘Although it's purportedly a comedy - a romantic comedy, even - its most memorable scene is a tense courtroom drama.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.