Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large American martin with plumage that is mainly purplish-blue.
- ‘Some of those species include bluebirds, robins, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, wrens, tree and barn swallows, purple martins, owls, flycatchers, and woodpeckers.’
- ‘A more pleasant form of prevention is available through the erection of a birdhouse to attract purple martins.’
- ‘Being social birds, purple martins prefer apartments rather than individual dwellings.’
- ‘It is also a good place for bird watching; call ahead to book a guided bird walk, where you might see tree swallows, red-winged blackbirds, egrets, herons, warblers, purple martins, and mocking birds.’
- ‘Other swallows include barn swallows, cliff swallows, and purple martins.’
purple martin/ˈpərpəl ˈmärtn/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.