One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large American martin with plumage that is mainly purplish-blue.
Progne subis, family Hirundinidae
- ‘Other swallows include barn swallows, cliff swallows, and purple martins.’
- ‘Some of those species include bluebirds, robins, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, wrens, tree and barn swallows, purple martins, owls, flycatchers, and woodpeckers.’
- ‘It is also a good place for bird watching; call ahead to book a guided bird walk, where you might see tree swallows, red-winged blackbirds, egrets, herons, warblers, purple martins, and mocking birds.’
- ‘A more pleasant form of prevention is available through the erection of a birdhouse to attract purple martins.’
- ‘Being social birds, purple martins prefer apartments rather than individual dwellings.’
purple martin/ˈpərpəl ˈmärtn/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.