One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibiotic used to treat sleeping sickness and amoebic dysentery.
This antibiotic is produced by the bacterium Streptomyces alboniger
- ‘If it were, say puromycin, the results of half the lab would be ruined for a year.’
- ‘This was transfected with a transgene encoding resistance to puromycin, and a predominantly negative, puromycin-resistant colony was isolated.’
- ‘Clonal cell lines were expanded in complete DMEM containing 7.5 g/ml puromycin and were transferred to serum free DMEM approximately 24 hours prior to harvesting.’
- ‘Determination of the puromycin dose: Puromycin was used at 100 g/ml on wild-type starved cultures.’
- ‘Cells were exposed to the retrovirus for 24 hr, followed by media change and a 24-hr recovery period prior to selection of retroviral linked selection markers (neomycin, puromycin, or hygromycin).’
1950s: from purine + -mycin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.