One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And nothing else (used for emphasis)‘it was revenge, pure and simple’
- ‘This is rock music, pure and simple, and they were very much a rock band.’
- ‘It's glam rock, pure and simple, and at high risk of sounding like everyone's dad, it was better the first time.’
- ‘But the film he was in showed his intent and interests pure and simple.’
- ‘This is not a war of ideas, but a one-sided game where liberals allow the right to get away with anything pure and simple.’
- ‘There was no physical abuse, but it was intimidation, pure and simple.’
- ‘Misogynism, pure and simple, played a large part in it.’
- ‘This isn't health policy, this is just politics, pure and simple.’
- ‘Where post-punk was arty, difficult, and challenging, new wave was pop music, pure and simple.’
- ‘Patents serve the research and development strategies of big corporations, pure and simple.’
- ‘What is now a tolerable sweep into disputed territory would be denounced in the U.N. as invasion pure and simple.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.