Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fat on the body of a baby or child that disappears around adolescence.
- ‘Well I initially started when I got to the football club I had a bit of puppy fat and players, team-mates would actually just joke about it, and I think it scarred me a little bit.’
- ‘Small tears fell in pairs down her rounded face which still hadn't lost some of the puppy fat.’
- ‘How can a mother really try to put a child onto a diet because of the apparent puppy fat lasting longer than she expected, and then not expect an adverse effect on that very child?’
- ‘The puppy fat is replaced by curves that men seem to want to explore.’
- ‘With Stephanie, the doctors said it was puppy fat and it would go when she hit puberty but it didn't.’
- ‘The little child was pudgy, but with puppy fat rather than overeating, and he waved a stick with as much ferocity as he could muster in his right hand.’
- ‘Smokers get banned, lap dancers told to keep their kit on, Glaswegians told to shun the sunbed, while kids with puppy fat are constantly told they are headed for an early grave.’
- ‘Their daughter is not just pleasantly plump or carrying a pound or two of excess puppy fat, she is morbidly obese.’
- ‘Maybe she'll simultaneously melt away that puppy fat.’
- ‘My puppy fat melted, I started wearing contact lenses and learnt how to kiss.’
- ‘But there was something about him that made Cotterell look beyond the rolls of puppy fat.’
- ‘Kate Steinbeck from the family weight management clinic says many parents said their children had puppy fat, even when referring to 10 or 20 extra kilos.’
- ‘Idon't know how to get rid of that chubbiness which people told me I would lose eventually as it was only puppy fat.’
- ‘Even Michael has some puppy fat, but Deron is all unbending bronze.’
- ‘Meggy is impetuous, spoilt, emotionally unfinished and, despite the puppy fat, awkwardly attractive.’
- ‘It is also his first shot at being a leading man, and bulked out, though not completely free of puppy fat, he acquits himself admirably.’
- ‘Now the puppy fat has disappeared and the delivery is more direct.’
- ‘It is a question of toning up my physique and converting the puppy fat.’
- ‘He'd never lost his puppy fat and puberty had hit him early, and hard.’
- ‘For what seems like ages, you've got braces, flat chests and puppy fat in all the wrong places; then, seemingly overnight, they morph into head-turners.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.