One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a larva) become a pupa.
- ‘A larva moves to the edge of a leaf before it pupates, and the leaf curls around the pupa.’
- ‘Eventually the parasitic caterpillar pupates, later emerging as an adult butterfly.’
- ‘After reaching the 4th instar, the larva pupates and, later, transforms into an adult that is ready to emerge from the seed.’
- ‘Fifth instar caterpillars pupate under rocks or in the litter beneath host plant patches in mid-June to mid-July.’
- ‘After the third week all mines were left covered until the larvae pupated, at which time the leaves were picked and placed in corked glass tubes, and reared in an outside insectary.’
- ‘Between ten and twelve days later the worker dies as the parasitic larvae pupate inside its body.’
- ‘Juvenile thrips molt through two stages, or instars, before pupating.’
- ‘When the larvae hatch, she will feed them chewed-up caterpillars until they are ready to pupate.’
- ‘Larvae pupate in the seed and emerge as adults from late September to November.’
- ‘After hatching, the larvae grow for three or four weeks and then pupate.’
- ‘Firefly larvae pupate in late spring within an igloo-shaped underground chamber.’
- ‘Last-instar larvae pupated on the branches of the trees.’
- ‘In both years, the brood and the queens were frozen when the brood had pupated.’
- ‘Larvae pupate in the soil and adults emerge from mid-July to August.’
- ‘After approximately three weeks of feeding in the spring, they pupate and emerge as adults about 10 days later.’
- ‘The larvae enter the host, feed, and grow, and after approximately 7-10 days they emerge and pupate, killing the cricket.’
- ‘Each colony consists of up to several hundred siblings that remain together for nearly a year, pupating as a group and then transforming into butterflies while still sequestered in the nest.’
- ‘Eventually these larvae pupated later without mortality, leaving behind severely damaged plants.’
- ‘The wasp pupates within the host integument and, in the Åland islands, emerges as an adult in June while the host butterflies are adults.’
- ‘Next spring, the larvae pupate and emerge in late May or early June as beetles that live 2 to 4 weeks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.