Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An insect in its inactive immature form between larva and adult, e.g., a chrysalis.
- ‘Total RNA was isolated from third instar larvae, pupae, adult body, and adult head by TRIZOL reagent.’
- ‘Red stripe appears as a diffuse stripe of pigment on the dorsum of larvae and pupae and is variable in expressivity and penetrance.’
- ‘The house fly has complete metamorphosis: egg, larvae, pupae and adult.’
- ‘These snakes feed on smaller prey - the larvae, pupae, and adults of ants and termites - and they do so remarkably fast.’
- ‘In most species for which detailed dietary information is available, ant larvae and pupae represent the most important food resource.’
- ‘Around her were tiny, silver eggs, chubby larvae, and pupae folded like mummies inside translucent cases.’
- ‘Sift through the litter where the windrows were, checking in and around crowns for larvae, pupae, and adult weevils.’
- ‘Insect pupae have all of the major structures of the adult, and most of these structures have already reached their final dimensions.’
- ‘The adult flea is an excellent jumper passing through a complete life cycle consisting of egg, larva, pupa and adult.’
- ‘When a male molts from a larva to a pupa, the horns evert, unfold, and stretch out to their full shape and length - not unlike extending a collapsed telescope.’
- ‘The number of clutches of eggs, larvae in each instar, pupae, and new adults emerging in the next generation were recorded.’
- ‘Parasitoids overwinter as pupae in mines within fallen leaves.’
- ‘When temperatures drop, stable flies overwinter as larvae or pupae in piles of larval breeding material.’
- ‘Once in New York, the eggs hatch into larvae, molt into pupae, and finally emerge as adults, ready to take on the Big Apple.’
- ‘The three stages of the ancestral insect species - pronymph, nymph and adult - are proposed to be equivalent to the larva, pupa and adult stages of insects with complete metamorphosis.’
- ‘At the end of each experiment the males were individually housed until pupae emerged from all parasitized males.’
- ‘Ovaries from late fifth instar larvae and pupae were used for initiating the cell cultures.’
- ‘All flies pass through four life stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult.’
- ‘Other invertebrates survive dry periods by remaining in the pond substrate as eggs, pupae, or aestivating adults.’
- ‘Testes were dissected in Schneider's Drosophila media from larvae, pupae, or adults.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin pupa girl, doll.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.