One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Damages exceeding simple compensation and awarded to punish the defendant.
- ‘In my view, the case at bar is one where punitive damages must be awarded because of the conduct of all Defendants.’
- ‘The Court has thus confirmed that punitive damages can be awarded in the absence of an accompanying tort.’
- ‘The plaintiff recovered punitive damages in the cause now in issue, the total award exceeding one million dollars.’
- ‘The Law Commission emphasised that an award of punitive damages should be seen as a remedy of last resort.’
- ‘Exemplary damages or punitive damages, the terms are synonymous, stand apart from awards of compensatory damages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.