Damages exceeding simple compensation and awarded to punish the defendant.
- ‘The Law Commission emphasised that an award of punitive damages should be seen as a remedy of last resort.’
- ‘The plaintiff recovered punitive damages in the cause now in issue, the total award exceeding one million dollars.’
- ‘Exemplary damages or punitive damages, the terms are synonymous, stand apart from awards of compensatory damages.’
- ‘In my view, the case at bar is one where punitive damages must be awarded because of the conduct of all Defendants.’
- ‘The Court has thus confirmed that punitive damages can be awarded in the absence of an accompanying tort.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.