One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US A team ball game in which a rubber ball is punched or headed.
- ‘Punchball is a sport similar to baseball but without a pitcher, catcher, or bat.’
- ‘Punchball should be declared an Olympic event.’
- ‘I come from the part of Brooklyn, N.Y., where girls played punchball or handball, unless they were fortunate enough to have someone pay for their tennis lessons.’
2Britishanother term for punching bag
- ‘Despite the lack of a swimming pool on board the ship to Canada, King kept fit by using a boxer's punchball - the method Allan Wells pioneered for track sprinters over 40 years later.’
- ‘He is a past master of the photo-opportunity who, as a Scottish Office minister, wowed inmates at Saughton Prison with his boxing skills by laying into a punchball.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.