One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stuffed cylindrical bag suspended so it can be punched for exercise or training, especially by boxers; a punching bag.
- ‘When the Daily Dispatch visited the Welsh camp, Qhushu was busy pounding a punchbag preparing for a fight in Johannesburg whose details are yet to be finalised.’
- ‘She explains how she drew a cross on a punchbag at the exact height of Ward's chin and trained to hit it.’
- ‘I'm up at eight and in the gym, and back in the ring sparring and on the punchbags in the afternoon.’
- ‘The turning process will comprise exhibition contests between boxers of the same weight, shadow boxing, working on a punchbag and rope-skipping.’
- ‘But he had a blue bed, a red punchbag, a Jackass poster, a green alarm clock, a wooden wardrobe, and a writing desk.’
- ‘They stock every conceivable type of ball, as well as darts, boxing gloves, punchbags, headguards, snooker cues, goggles, running spikes and karate suits.’
- ‘Instead she works hard for about an hour and a half twice a week knocking seven bells out of punchbags, completing gruelling gym circuits and sparring with men, usually six-footers who tower over her in the ring.’
- ‘‘The club have got me doing a lot of weights and I've been boxing with the punchbag to give myself more body strength,’ says Luke, whose display at Sunderland last Saturday was highly praised by Fergie.’
- ‘I do some aerobics stuff and use the punchbag for some boxing training.’
- ‘The South African decided to withdraw because of a wrist injury he picked up after hitting a punchbag in the garage of his Wentworth home earlier this month.’
- ‘He was giving a martial arts demonstration, beating up a punchbag, and was more interested in watching the women watching him than in taking care over what he was doing.’
- ‘Maybe when you punch a punchbag you are simply releasing more endorphins that improve your mood.’
- ‘The poverty-stricken young Joe rigged up a make-do punchbag in his rickety garden shed.’
- ‘He no longer pummels the light punchbag that has travelled with him from home to home over the years, and these days he occasionally uses a cane to assist his progress.’
- ‘Others cultivated a swagger or bragged about the punchbag they had at home, bought by mum after constant pressure, most likely from Moore's Catalogue.’
- ‘The boxer's punchbag is still swinging on its chain when I enter, and here's something else that's disconcerting: an entire wall stacked floor to ceiling with files.’
- ‘When he was answered in the affirmative, he immediately became impressed as he danced around the ring and whamming suspended punchbags with that famous right hand.’
- ‘Working with leather is a favourite of his, and he's made things like punchbags for boxing clubs.’
- ‘Hatton now stands beside Macklin, who is working on the punchbag, talking to him about technique.’
- ‘Cade's fists made hard contact with the punchbag.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.