One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, edible, brightly colored freshwater fish of the sunfish family, native to North America. It is popular in aquariums and has been introduced into many European waters.
- ‘Panfish comprise the black crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white crappie, and yellow perch.’
- ‘The day after the bluegills spawned, Neff dangled a container with a pumpkinseed sunfish, which preys on eggs and fry, and scored the ferocity of the dads' defense.’
- ‘In Lake Opeongo, observed predators were in the water column: smallmouth bass, yellow perch, and pumpkinseed.’
- ‘Out back of the house, oak, hemlock and cedar trees crown a path toward a 30-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, and more.’
- ‘In the pumpkinseed sunfish, parental care is provided exclusively by males, but some males parasitize others by sneaking fertilizations.’
- ‘Some of the common fish species include the freshwater drum, sheepshead, lake sturgeon, spotted suckers, common red-horse, and pumpkinseed.’
- ‘The pumpkinseed sunfish, Lepomis gibbosus, was used in New Hampshire experiments and the spotted sunfish, Lepomis punctatus in the Florida experiments.’
- ‘Human beings are simply more aware of it than is the average prairie dog or pumpkinseed sunfish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.