One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shake a person's hand vigorously.
- ‘The boy answered as he pumped his hand energetically.’
- ‘The Marine kept pumping his hand, saying, ‘You're lucky to have that one - she can take care of herself!’’
- ‘An enthusiastic supporter pumped his hand and spewed out some of his own conclusions.’
- ‘The man beams, then reaches out and pumps my hand enthusiastically.’
- ‘He was a little weightlifter looking guy who pumped my hand like he was milking it.’
- ‘‘You keep that camera out and we're gonna have some fun boy!’ he greeted us like old friends, pumping my hand with startling vigour for an octogenarian invalid.’
- ‘‘Ellie Johansen,’ I managed to say, as he pumped my hand professionally.’
- ‘He pumped my hand vigorously and could barely stammer out his name.’
- ‘He pumped my hand vigorously, his devilish eyes radiating excitement.’
- ‘Trying desperately to make her way toward Gil, she found herself surrounded by well-wishers who touched her, congratulated her, thanked her, and pumped her hand until she thought her arm would fall off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.