One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pump-action rifle with a tubular magazine.
- ‘When my customers look at the alternative pump guns available for the same money, they sell themselves all over again,’ Peacock said.’
- ‘There is also the widespread belief that the sound of a pump gun cycling its first round into the chamber tends to freeze bad guys.’
- ‘I know cops who stopped trusting Remington 870 pump guns the day they started coming with a key lock integrated with the safety button.’
- ‘In the old days, it was argued that a good man could work a pump gun faster than he could fire an autoloader.’
- ‘While opening a box of clay birds and getting a hand trap ready, I heard him load shells into the magazine of his pump gun and rack the slide to chamber a round.’
- ‘The next step-up in scattergun difficulty is the conventional pump gun.’
- ‘A pump gun is the classic action for woods hunting, and the magazine gun can be unplugged when hunting non-migratory game such as squirrels.’
- ‘Back in 1908 Remington wanted something to compete with Winchester's famed Model 94 but the faster, smoother operation of a pump gun had a lot of advantages.’
- ‘There is nothing more intimidating than the sound of a pump gun racking a shell.’
- ‘Trying to juggle a pump gun in one hand, a flashlight in the other and open a door, can be tough at all the wrong moments.’
- ‘I swirled around, and there's Justin holding his big water pump gun, right at me.’
- ‘This is not the procedure for an inexpensive off-the-rack pump gun, but the shooter wanting the best from a quality double gun might justify the tab.’
- ‘The new riot gear includes American style 12-bore pump guns, translucent poly-carbonate shields, elbow and shin guards and protective clothing.’
- ‘It reminds me of another story of a seasoned trapshooter who had a similar point of impact problem with a new pump gun.’
- ‘It's very difficult for him to get two guns, especially the pump gun.’
- ‘While common in semi-autos, the cut-off is a real innovation in a pump gun and a welcome improvement.’
- ‘The shotgun's bottom ejection makes it more weatherproof than conventional pump guns and provides easy handling for left and right-handed shooters alike.’
- ‘In addition, he secreted his own Remington 870 12 gauge pump gun where he could reach it near the door to his office.’
- ‘But if you have a spare pump gun to convert or even a sporter that could be converted into a handy tactical model during the off-season, it's easier than ever.’
- ‘The lawman in the foreground is wielding a long-barrel, camouflage-finished, 12-gauge pump gun against the offenders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.