Denoting the fraudulent practice of encouraging investors to buy shares in a company in order to inflate the price artificially, and then selling one's own shares while the price is high.
- ‘Instead of unwittingly getting inside information, Schwarz ran into the latest version of the classic "pump-and-dump" investment scam sweeping the nation.’
- ‘Of course, recent announcements about new technology purchases seem to have gone nowhere, so it is increasingly sounding like a pump-and-dump type deal.’
- ‘He allegedly cashed out his shares in this company at inflated prices - but not by dumping them on the public in the tried-and-true method of pump-and-dump schemes.’
- ‘The most popular image spam is pump-and-dump stock-scam messages, promoting low-valued stocks in an effort to quickly raise their value.’
- ‘Murmurings were that another student planned a pump-and-dump operation over the summer.’